This is an awareness course only.
Who is it for:
It is important to note that this is an awareness course only and is for all staff members working or wishing to work in the healthcare profession, these include healthcare assistants, nurses, porters, therapist and any individuals with the responsibility of manually aiding a persons movement.
Patient Handling Online Course:
Lessons in the Patient Handling Online Course:
- My Back
- Risk Assessment
- Principles of Safe Handling
- Mechanical Lifting Aids
The first section is Safe Patient Handling an Introduction. After completing this module you will be able to;
- Explain the meaning of “Manual Handling” and “Patient Handling”. Explain the legal requirements for Manual Handling and Patient Handling training. List employer and employee duties regarding health and safety. Explain how Manual Handling and Patient Handling should be dealt with during pregnancy. At the end of the lesson you will be required to complete a Self Assessment, use this assessment to find out if you are ready to progress to the next lesson.
The second section is Safe Patient Handling My Back. After completing this module you will be able to;
- Describe the main parts of the back and explain their importance for its proper functioning. Explain the impact of weight on the mechanics of the back. List possible injuries of the back and how they affect its proper function. Explain how personal fitness and other individual risk factors can affect the risk of back injury.
The third section is Safe Patient Handling Risk Assessment. After completing this module you will be able to;
- Explain how the safety statement can be used as a source of information on specific manual handling risks. List 6 manual handling activities and the most important risks that are associated with them. Explain the concept of risk assessment and use it to identify safety hazards. Explain effective strategies of dealing with unfamiliar loads.
The fourth section is Safe Patient Handling Principles of Safe Handling. After completing this module you will be able to;
- Conduct a situational assessment of handling needs based on patient need and ability. Reassure your patient effectively by communicating your actions clearly and precisely. React adequately and safely in case of an emergency or in unforeseen circumstances.
The fifth section is Safe Patient Handling Principles Mechanical Lifting Aids. After completing this module you will be able to;
- Eliminate the need for patient handling by using adequate mechanical lifting aids. Select mobility or lifting aids that are useful and safe for the task you want to perform.
Patient Handling Certificate Exam:
In all of these lesson’s you will get an introduction to the course subject and learn about the legal requirements for safe manual handling in Ireland. Completing each lesson will take about 25-30 minutes. You can interrupt the training at any time. The system will remember where you stopped. On return you will be given the opportunity to continue from where you left off or to start over again.
Patient Handling Additional Information:
Our online courses are very easy to use and all you need is a computer with an internet connection. It is recommended that you use a laptop or desktop and have installed Flash Player 8.0 or above. Courses can be taken on a tablet providing you are using a flash enabled browser.
You can take this course anytime, anywhere, 24/7! You don’t have to complete the course in one sitting. If you have to leave unexpectedly, or you just want to complete it later it will remember where you were, the last time you left it. You can also learn at your own pace. Learning has never been easier, you can get the course you need today and it’s just a click of a button away.